teratorn and I (warner) are working on creating a plugin for Trac that will let you see build status from within Trac.
We're using the http://buildbot.net/repos/trac-plugin-2 branch as a holding place for this development.
Please see BuildbotAndTrac for other solutions.
Misc Brainstorming Notes, Ideas, Questions, Etc…
A patch is a changeset against a particular source tree, either trunk or another named branch.
A patch will be changed over time as new revisions are uploaded to the ticket.
A branch also represents a changeset against a particular source tree, either trunk or another named branch.
Branches will be changed over time as users commit changes.
In both cases we want to know things about these patches and branches, and we want to know how things have progressed and are progressing over time.
There are different categories of users who are interested in these patches and branches. There are Twisted users who just want to know when an issue is resolved. Then there are other user who want to know when the patch or branch changes so that they can review those changes. Other folks are actually involved in the development of the patch or branch.
So what are the things that people want to know? What questions about these patches and branches can we answer within the ticket-tracker interface?
We may want to see the history of the patch or branch. Trac already provides a UI to view the history of a branch. We need something in the same vein for patches. The history (timeline) of a patch includes a few things:
- When the initial version was added and when new revisions were made
- The content of those revisions
- The diff between revisions
- The application status of the revision at the time the patch was added/revised (that is, does the patch apply cleanly?)
- The ongoing application status of the patch as trunk or the branch the patch is associated with changes
- The test status of the revision at the time the patch was added/revised
- The ongoing test status of the patch as trunk or the branch the patch is associated with changes
Questions that need to be answered:
- Should all the patch history/timeline events be shown in the normal ticket history, or should there be a separate page for detailed patch history?
jml's crazy ideas / #twisted discussion
- The most common use cases warrant an edge-triggered display of builds
- When did builds stop/start failing?
- What was the last build that worked?
- Tying these spans to a full diff would also be useful.